Ceramic coating protects cars from the Irish weather
We all know the feeling – you’re waiting at the lights and a glossy new car slides up next to you and you realise your paintwork is not what it was. Trying to keep a car looking shop-new can be an expensive and exhausting chore. All that washing, waxing, and love feels futile when a bird finds its target ten minutes after you are done. And if it isn’t the birds it is UV radiation (even in Ireland), chips, stains, dirt, swirl marks – all of these start to fade and wear away at the glossy newness of your coat. Which is where ceramic coating comes in to protect your car. Ceramic coating for cars uses nanotechnology to provide a layer of protection over your vehicle’s paint work. The coating forms bonds with the substrate at the nanomolecular level meaning it does not wash away or break down like a wax. This protection keeps your car cleaner and glossier for longer.
In this article we look at the benefits of a ceramic car protection coating, how they are applied, and where you can find products and applicators in Ireland.
The advantages of ceramic coating for cars
Ceramic coating is alternatively called glass coating, liquid glass, nano ceramic coating, ceramic glass, car paint protection coating, but is there a difference between all these products? Well, no, not really. All these terms describe a nano coating for cars based on silica/silicon dioxide (a key ingredient in glass). These nano coatings are hydrophobic, hard, heat and weather resistant, and this is why they are perfect for your vehicle.
A ceramic coating makes your car paint more resilient and easier to clean. This is because they:
- Are hydrophobic – Water beads on the surface and slides off due to its water-repelling properties. This also makes it more difficult for mud and grime to adhere to the surface so washing is easier and less frequent.
- Provide UV protection – Sun exposure causes car paint to oxidise and fade. A ceramic car coating provides a barrier which protects from this effect.
- Protect from chemical stains – The hydrophobic property of nano car coating prevents acidic fluids and salt from staining and etching a paint job (including bird droppings and dead bugs).
- Enhance gloss – A ceramic coating coats your car in a slick, self-cleaning surface which makes your car glossy and shiny, just like new.
The ceramic or glass coating process
Applying a car protection coating is an intensive and delicate operation and requires application by an experienced and qualified professional to achieve the best results. There are, however, ceramic coating kits available which can be applied at home though this risks a flawed finish due to the environmental contaminants of a home garage.
Like any coating application, the condition of the substrate is key. Before applying the coating, your car must be as clean and bare as possible. Though each individual product may have slightly different application requirements (and you should always follow the specific instructions), the basic procedure is as follows:
- After washing and buffing the car, wipe it down again with a low percentage (15%) IPA solution and a microfibre cloth, to make sure there is as little contaminant and oil as possible left on the car surface.
- Take the applicator pad/cloth and apply the coating in an X pattern across it. Only a very little of the coating will be needed.
- Using a circular or back and forth motion, wipe the coating onto a panel, applying to one panel at a time.
- After 5 minutes, check the application for irregularities or high points. If they are present, gently wipe over the surface with a microfibre cloth to smooth out the surface.
- Allow to cure. This step is especially important as this is when the nano coating forms crosslinks and becomes the protective coating you need.
Comparing ceramic coating to other car paint protection coatings
Ceramic and glass coatings are a relatively new in the car paint protection Ireland market. They are slowly replacing the more traditional waxing and hard waxing, which is no wonder. In the table below you can see how ceramic coating for cars compares to waxing and hard waxing in price and durability. Remember that, no matter the hype, no coating is permanent unless well maintained. A ceramic or glass coating for cars will degrade if not looked after, and will need reapplication every year to five years depending on the coating. There are also DIY nano ceramic coating products, but for the best ceramic coat car paint protection, you should always trust a professional. The prices outlined below are indications, and do not reflect the real range of prices for different valet services.
|Car Detailing Product||Coating Lifespan||Average Costs|
|Sealant||4-6 months||€100 and up|
|Ceramic Coating||1-5 years depending on product and application||€250-300 for basic treatment|
Ceramic coating detailers and specialists in Ireland
A ceramic car coating is an investment for the serious car lover. While waxing is a quarterly expense, ceramic car coating is a one-off. A complete professional ceramic detail package can cost anywhere from €300 up to €1400 depending on the number of coats and surface treatment required. If you do decide to invest in ceramic coating, Ireland has trained professional applicators across the country, from ceramic car coating Dublin to Cork and the West Coast too. A few of the detailers offering this service are listed below, including Ceramic Pro Ireland certified detailers:
|Ceramic Coating Detailer||Location||Services Provided|
|Auto Detail Valeting||Dublin||Valeting and ceramic coatings|
|Bubbles Car Valeting||Kilkenny||Valeting and ceramic coatings|
|Crystal Clean Elite Car Valeting||Cork||Valeting and ceramic coatings|
|Paul’s Car Detailing||Limerick||Polishing, valeting and ceramic coatings|
|Taff’s Valeting and Detailing Specialists||Tullaheady, Co. Tipperary||Paint correction, valeting and ceramic coatings|
If you are looking for information about a large scale project which needs ceramic coating for cars, our experts are here to help. Just get in touch through the quote button below and we will help you find the right coating solution for your needs.